Using words to create art

Kelly Mban Nkatcha

Putting ink to paper, Art I students began a project on Monday that has them creating a piece of art by using words. “The purpose is just to show students that there is other ways to create lines, and other ways to incorporate text and wording in art,” art teacher Jeb Matulich said. “That’s a real popular style right now.”

Maddie Aronson, Staff Reporter

Words are becoming art as students in Art I work on a current project to incorporate language into drawing.

“We’re doing an assignment where instead of using lines, were using text and words, and things, so they can create a drawing of some sort of subject matter, it can be a person, animal, landscape, logo brand, anthining like that, any object,” art teacher Jeb Mautalich said. “Then instead of using lines, after they kind of sketch it in with pencil, they’re going to fill it in with words and text.  they’re going to sketch it out.”

Matulich hopes this helps develop the artistic knowledge and creativity of his students by introducing a new way to draw.

“The purpose is just to show students that there is other ways to create lines, and other ways to incorporate text and wording in art,” Matulich said. “That’s a real popular style right now.”

Junior Paige Swallow is using the project to explore artistic freedoms, and learning to use words in a more unique fashion.

“We have to do like a cross contour kind of thing and just fill it in with words, and it can be really literal, like if you did a road you can just write road a bunch of times, or be more creative and find words that tie into things, or how it makes you feel,” Swallow said. “I’m doing a landscape, because I love nature, so I’m just doing words like tranquility and peace and picturesque, and words that describe how I feel when I’m drawing.”

The creative element of the project is helpful in looking at new perspectives in art, and in life.

“I guess just to see things differently, instead of lines or something you’re able to see what could happened, if you would like to draw it,” Swallow. “It can help you think beyond the box, it you’re in a situation where you don’t know what to do, being willing to do the not normal.”

The project is giving all of the students a new outlook about what they thought art was supposed to be, including freshman Connor Whaling.

“It helps you learn a little bit more about value, and the higher meaning of the art piece you’re working on,” Whaling said. “It helps me find new ways to create art and try new things.”

The project helps students like Whaling create a realistic image in a new way.

“We’re drawing using words, and figures, based on words, we fill in contour,” Whaling said. “For my project, I’m just drawing a picture with words to show a spray can.”