Climbing the wall in outdoor ed

Yael Even, Staff Reporter

• Outdoor Education students traveled to Canyons for a lesson focused on rock climbing. “[The unit] Is about trying to give students a different opportunity or activity to do and introduce to them not many people know about rock climbing or have been rock climbing,” Outdoor Ed teacher Justin Koons said.

• Students in Outdoor Education classes got the chance to explore a new environment from their regular classroom through the rock climbing activity.

• Starting 2 years ago, Outdoor Education students began rock climbing to put what they learn in class into work outside of the classroom.

• As part of what the Texas Parks and Wildlife said, freshman Sarah Head got the chance to implement her skills in Outdoor Education as they rock climbed.

• Students were able to take their knowledge outside of the classroom setting as they had the chance to participate in rock climbing.

High school can present a lot of obstacles for students to overcome, but this week in Outdoor Education, students actually had to climb their assignment as they made trips to Canyons for lessons in rock climbing.

Added to the curriculum two years ago, previous students didn’t have the chance to apply their knowledge. That changed this week.

“They sent us a PowerPoint and things to go over, but there was no application for it,” Outdoor Ed teacher Justin Coones said. “I got together with a rock climbing gym, they said we could go. Now I can implement what Texas Parks and Wildlife sent to us, and what they added, and do it.”

After being the taught the basics, students were soon climbing on their own.

“We first learned how to belay,” senior Brooke Stephens said. “Then we went onto rock climbing on our own and belaying with partners. I really enjoyed it because it was a fun activity we got to do with our friends and we got to go off campus for a class period.”

Beyond learning how to climb, students also had to climb out of their comfort zone.

“It was kind of hectic and scary but also a lot of fun,” senior Ashley Cook said. “I think it helps teach people to step out of their comfort zone and challenge themselves in a safe environment. So for people like me who are afraid of heights it helps to face that fear and overcome it with various challenges. On the bouldering wall (free climbing wall) you can see what you are capable without the assistance of another person. On the other hand you can challenge yourself even more on the belaid walls and take bigger risks knowing you aren’t going to fall.”

Teachers never know how students will like a new lesson, but for senior Kierra Lewis, future Outdoor Ed students should also be able to get a grip on rock climbing.

“I definitely think this should be apart of Outdoor Ed next year it’s super fun and it allows you to bond with you classmates,” Lewis said.  “Also it a cooler learning environment that the classroom and many students have never rocked climbed. Some students may find a passion or skill they didn’t know they had.”