Choir competes in UIL concert and sight reading

Kia Dunlop

Choir students practices their rehearsed pieces for UIL on Wednesday. UIL consists of a performance of rehearsed songs as well as a sight reading portion.

Maddie Aronson, Staff Reporter

Choir competes in the district UIL competition on Wednesday hoping to showcase their abilities with singing and sight reading,

“The last couple of weeks we’ve really stepped up our sight reading, where the kids need to be able to read a piece of music they’ve never seen before, accurately for a group of judges, so we’ve really stepped up the intensity of that,” choir director Toni Ugolini said. “We’re just trying to make sure everything we can do it spot perfect, and anything we can’t fix we’ve gone over to just make it as perfect as possible.”

After months of preparation, Ugolini is excited to hear how the competition goes.

“I feel like we’re super ready to go, i’m excited to get out there and show the judges what we’ve been working on,” she said. “It’s kind of one of those things were I feel like they’re putting their best effort forth what happens on the day, it’s not necessarily a reflection of how much we have grown. If we give our best performance and get good ratings then that’s awesome, and if we make any mistakes then that’s not indicative of us as a whole.”

Junior Kennedy Williams is grateful for the pre-UIL competition the choir went to on March 21.

“We’ve been rehearsing front the front of class to the end of class, we did pre UIL a couple weeks ago where it’s basically a mock UIL,” Williams said. “We go through the process of  having judges and they give us commentary, and so that way we get to feel like what the environment it like so we won’t be as nervous for UIL.”

Although she thinks the group is prepared, Williams is worried about some uncontrollable variables on competition day.

“I’m a little concerned with balancing because it’s going to have a new sound, because when you’re singing the space you’re in is very particular and it changes, and your balance has to switch depending on what type of room you’re in,” Williams said. “We haven’t really performed that often in spaces like what we’re going to do in UIL, and it’s a big space so thats my biggest concern, making sure every part is heard equally.”

Grateful for the learning experience that this music has brought her, freshman Sarah Head has some minor concerns about some aspects of the competition.

“It gives you a lot of practice on working on a lot of different things, like learning new languages and different songs and learning to sing a capella,” Head said. “I’m kind of concerned about sight reading because i’m not very good at it and it’s kinda hard for a lot of people. I’m a little nervous but I think it will go well.”