Ryan Kiefer

Aliza Porter, Guest Contributor

While many freshmen, sophomores, and juniors have time to slack off and procrastinate when it comes to applying to colleges, seniors have been busy wrapping up their last essay and sending their applications in. Recently Wingspan has sat down with Counselor Ryan Kiefer for more information on the process senior students have to go through in order to apply for colleges.

Wingspan: What is the process that students have to go through in order to apply for colleges?

Kiefer: For most schools in Texas they use Apply Texas. Most schools out of the state of Texas use Common App, but it’s unique to each school so you will have to check with their school to see how that school wants them to apply.

Wingspan: Do you suggest students apply early or go at their own pace?

Kiefer: Apply early. I would say they should have their applications in two weeks for each school’s deadline so they can verify that their application is in.

Wingspan: When do you suggest students should apply?

Kiefer: It’s dependent on each school. They all have different application deadlines so as long as they can get all the paperwork in, I would say these students for their school’s deadline.

Wingspan: How long will students be able to apply?

Kiefer: Dependent on each school. Some of them, like community colleges, sometimes even accept applications all the way up to the date their semester begins so all the way up to like August. Other ones, like UT, have application deadlines of December 1st so it’s dependent on the school.

Wingspan: What will seniors have to do if they wait too long to apply and options start decreasing?

Kiefer: They will have to look for schools that have later application deadlines if they miss the deadline for their school’s and in the worst case scenario, not that it’s a bad option, but they may wind up with their only option being the local community schools.