STAAR testing starting Tuesday for underclassmen

As sophomores and freshman are set to take their English STAARs on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, the use of lockers has increased. Students are asked to use their lockers to keep their phones and belonging to keep the testing rooms clear.

Ashvita Girish, Guest Contributor

Testing season is about here with STAAR exams beginning on Tuesday and underclassmen students on campus preparing to take some of the five STAAR tests required to be graduate.

“The STAAR tests benefit not only the student but the school and the state,” campus testing coordinator Ashley Stipe said. “Because it tests students knowledge of what the have learned in their courses, and it help with the school rating, which helps the state, but it also helps student individually by seeing how successful they are in those courses.”

One of the highest ranked schools in the area, students on campus tend to do well on these tests.

“The school get a rating based on several factors, not just the STAAR test,” Stipe said. “But the STAAR test is one of the main factors that benefit the state and Liberty usually does pretty well on the STAAR tests. The teachers prepare the students well.”

Students are given the necessary materials they needed by their teachers in order to be successful, and know what to expect while taking the STAAR test.

“First out teachers give us sample essay to do,” freshmen Tanivi Biswal said. “That teaches us about the different techniques and teaches us how to write. We also do peer editing, and we find an mistakes and correct them. Our teacher also gives us some passages and snapshots the help us.”

Texas requires students to be successful on the various exams in order to graduate. If one doesn’t pass the test, they must take a shorter version of the course and retake the test.

“If students fail one of the test they have other opportunities to take it again,” Stipe said. “They get remediation and things like that. So for example if a student isn’t successful  in April when they take the English test then there are summer opportunities and they have other opportunities as they go through high school.”

How to prepare for Staar testing by Cori Ross