Boom roasted, AP Lang students work on satire project

AP Language students are scheduled to create their own satirical piece starting Tuesday after completing units on both satire and rhetorical stategies.

Caitlyn Tracy

Caitlyn Tracy

Caitlyn Tracy

Yael Even, Staff Reporter

AP English Language students are having quite the laugh as they are creating their own piece of satire in class.

“[It’s] basically an opportunity for students to demonstrate how they understand satire,” English teacher Chad Doty said. “They get to choose a topic of their choice and create their own original work of satire.”

AP Lang classes place a strong emphasis on writing, however junior Megan Wiedenbach is excited to switch things up.

“This is the first time we’ve studied humor in writing, which is a huge shift from the serious writing we’ve been working with so far. I’m really looking forward to that,” Wiedenbach said. “The unit is pretty lighthearted and we get a lot of freedom with this project, so it’s a bit of a breather for me personally in the midst of all the reviews and portfolios I’m trying to get done for the AP tests.”

Not only will junior Taylor Bullitt have the chance to create a satirical work of her own, she will also get to see her peer’s work.

“I am looking forward to seeing how everyone incorporates humor and sarcasm to bring to light aspects of the word that they want to improve or change,” Bullitt said. “I think that will help me better understand satire and its function, which will benefit me on the AP test.”

For the project itself, Wiedenbach is getting the kick out of things as she is covering the President of the United States.

“For my project, my partner and I are trying to prove that Donald Trump is a fascist leader through a satirical Twitter account,” Wiedenbach said. “By definition, this is untrue, but we’re satirizing the current political climate of our country and the varying degrees of opinions we’ve seen throughout the country on Twitter.”

Yael Even, Staff Reporter

Yael Even is a junior starting her second year of Wingspan. She enjoys spending time with friends and family. Yael also likes to keep up with her healthy...