Hop, skip, and jump away from state

Hop, skip, and jump away from state

Several Redhawk track and field athletes advanced to 5A Region II meet. Senior Sanye Ford (left) took 1st place in the long jump with a PR of 19’ 1.5” at Tuesday's Area Meet and senior Nissi Kabongo took first in the high jump.

@redhawkspeed

@redhawkspeed

@redhawkspeed

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

11 athletes on the Redhawk track team advanced out of the area meet on Tuesday at Lovejoy High School and on to the 5A Region II meet April 26-27 at UT-Arlington.  

Alongside senior Andrew Ashmore, sophomore Bryson Wyatt, and junior Anthony Ortiz, junior Jahson Ferguson placed second in the 4×400 meter relay.

“I think it went incredibly well, because cause we had a lot of people qualify,” Ferguson said. “We did a lot of resistance and weight training in the fall in order to make our bodies stronger and better able to propel us on the track.”

Placing third in discus, sophomore Prince Ugoh looks to prepare for regionals by refining his skills.

“I feel like I did well and that I need to keep improving to do better and hopefully make it to state,” Ugoh said. “I’ll prepare for regionals by focusing a lot on my technique and moving faster across the ring.”

Despite a knee injury, senior Nissi Kabongo earned first in high jump, third in the 800 meter run, and third in the 300 meter hurdles

“I’m injured at the moment, so the area meet was a stepping stone to regionals for me,” senior Nissi Kabongo said. “I just had to do what I had to do to qualify.”

While working to recover, Kabongo believes she is ready for the next level of competition after three years of experience under her belt.

“I am trying to recover and get my knee right for regionals,” she said. “Now I approach these meets with more knowledge, because this is my fourth time doing them,” Kabongo said. “So I’m more prepared then, let’s say, someone like a freshman coming in, and more prepared mentally and physically.”

Athletes and events advancing to regionals:

Senior Andrew Ashmore- 4th in 400 meter, 2nd in 4×400 relay  

Junior Jahson Ferguson- 2nd in 4×400 relay

Sophomore Bryson Wyatt- 2nd in 4×400 relay

Junior Anthony Ortiz- 2nd in 4×400 relay

Sophomore Prince Ugoh- 3rd in discus

Senior Josh Burtch- 4th in discus

Freshman Evan Stewart- 1st in long jump and triple jump

Senior Sanye Ford- 1st in long jump, 3rd in 200 meter, 4th in 100 meter

Senior Nissi Kabongo- 1st in high jump, 3rd in 800 meter, 3rd in 300 meter hurdles

Junior Amelia Jauregui- 4th in 3200 meter

Junior Kristen Massuci- 1st in pole vault

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

Aaron Boehmer is a sophomore and in his second year of working on the Wingspan staff. He is also in his second year of playing for the school’s soccer...