Kicking off spring practice, football gets ready for fall

Head+football+coach+Chris+Burtch+takes+the+opportunity+to+gain+an+extra+12+practices+by+training+the+football+team+during+the+spring.+Practices+across+Texas+begin+on+Tuesday+and+continue+throughout+May.++

Mia Ricketts

Head football coach Chris Burtch takes the opportunity to gain an extra 12 practices by training the football team during the spring. Practices across Texas begin on Tuesday and continue throughout May.

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

Football teams throughout Texas have the chance to triple their training time in preparation for the fall season with spring football practices kicking off on Tuesday.

“We think it’s a huge benefit,” head coach Chris Burtch said. “UIL gives you two options; you either have spring practice or not. If you have spring practice, then you’re allowed to have 18 practices over a 30 day period, so you get 18 practices for about two hours a day. And if you choose not to have spring practice, then you can have an extra six days in the fall.”

Not only do coaches see the benefit of spring football, but sophomore Prince Ugoh believes training at the end of the year helps with team development.

“It helps us get back into the rhythm of football and getting some plays before the fall starts,” Ugoh said. “With the stress of last minute tests and EOC’s, I personally find football as a stress reliever, getting to release my frustration against people across the line. It also allows us to build chemistry through our love and appreciation of football.”