Dissecting rats to better understand the human body

Ashika Deshpande, Guest Contributor

• Labs are a large part of science classes, however the COVID-19 pandemic has put a halt on labs for virtual academy students. Science classes have adapted by using Pivot, an interactive virtual lab simulation.

• To end off the year, Biology students are putting their knowledge to the test with a rat dissection. The dissection allows for students to see what they have learned about body systems in real life.

• Rat dissection begins with specific Directions as seen in this photo of Mr. Gardener With Freshmen Bernie Ortiz and Jack Wilson cleaning off the rats

• 1. “Oink Oink” says Richard Sabatier as he gives a preview of AP biology’s new pig dissection project to come Rule of thirds.

After a whole year of doing labs, lectures, and worksheets, on-level biology students have the chance to participate in a hands on activity of dissecting a rat on Friday.

After months of doing labs, lectures, and worksheets, on-level biology students participated in a hands on activity Friday as they completed a rat dissection.

“Most of the organs and organ systems in the body of a rat are nearly identical to the human body,” biology teacher Madison Cantrell said. “It really is so helpful to see what your body is like so you can take extra measures to make sure that you are taking care of it well.”

Students were responsible for taking the rat to their station, dissecting, and the disposing of the body.

“The biology teachers [had] everything set up from the scissors to gloves to aprons and have it all out,” Cantrell said. “For the students, we are trying to prepare them for college if that is their choice.”

After the dissection, students had to name all the organs and show how all of them are connected for a major grade.

“I thought it was really cool,” freshmen Emily Santosum said. “It was a fun way to learn about our bodies and have a visual representation of it.”

Dissecting an animal wasn’t exhilarating for all students, with some choosing to do an alternative assignment or watching the procedure.

“It is a new experience because it’s not everyday you see an animals opened up and see it’s organs,” freshmen Afree Kadri said. “I think people should be open-minded if they don’t want to get grossed out too much.”