The Star welcomes a new sport

Davis O'Brien, WTV Sports Producer

With the creation of games like Fortnite and Apex, esports are growing at a faster rate than ever and Frisco is quickly jumping on the gaming bandwagon.

It’s projected that esports viewers spent 17.9 million hours watching their gaming heroes on those channels in the first quarter of 2018 alone, and The Star and the Dallas Cowboys want some of that action.

Biology teacher Chris Ham sponsors the school’s esports club. He believes the reason behind the rapid growth is due to new perceptions on video games.

“I believe the stigma of gamers being lazy is fading away,” Ham said. “Paired with better games cheaper consoles has led to its growth.”

Perhaps nowhere is this more evident than at The Star which is opening a GameStop Performance Center later in May.

Metroplex based GameStop is partnering with the professional esports organization, Complexity Gaming, to open the 11,000 square- foot center to serve as Complexity Gaming headquarters.

Construction has begun and the center will be on the corner of Cowboys Way and Gaylord Parkway across from the Omni Hotel.

“The opening of the GameStop Performance Center represents Complexity’s vision to further professionalize the esports industry and leverage the learnings from the Dallas Cowboys who also call The Star home,” founder and CEO of Complexity Gaming said in a news release. “We are creating a world-class facility that will engage fans both in person and online and positively impact the entire industry for decades to come.”

Ham believes the Gamestop Performance Center will be a good opportunity for students to learn more about the gaming world.

“I think this will truly benefit the students,” Ham said. “They can learn how to stream how to design logos it is just a great opportunity for them to be able to see those kind of things in action at the performance center.”

The headquarters will host gaming clinics and public events to better connect gamers to one another and will feature enhanced gaming equipment, a video studio, and a merchandise shop.