Bubble Boys burst onto the podcast scene

Recording their podcast, freshman Owen Wise, Joseph Hancock, and Ford Shippy interview assistant football coach Larry Swinnea in biology teacher Chris Ham's room.

Alyssa Murphy

Alyssa Murphy

Alyssa Murphy

Publishing Frisco Bubble Boys for the first time just weeks ago, freshmen Joseph Hancock, Ford Shippy, and Owen Wise are newcomers to the world of podcasting.

“We talk about random stuff all the time,” Hancock said. “We talk about stuff like kid’s perspective like what it’s like to be a student at Liberty. Sometimes we take questions people that listen and they send us stuff and they will listen.”

Their first podcast featured small glimpses into the Bubble Boy’s own life and the latest happenings on campus. But it wasn’t their decision to launch the show.

“It was actually Mr. Ham who inspired us to start the podcast,” Shippy said. “He was just like ‘you want to start a podcast’ and we said ‘yeah why not’. It’s really cool to see people that you don’t even know listen to it and you’re reaching an audience that far.”

For biology teacher Chris Ham, the podcast is a way for students to take their learning beyond the curriculum and classroom.

“My view on education in general is that I want students to have different experiences beyond academics, beyond extracurriculars so podcasting is a new way for students to have a voice and to express themselves so I think it’s awesome,” Ham said. “They’re learning how to communicate and how to market the product to different people, we’re going to try to get some sponsorships. It’s just another experience for students to go through to prepare them for life outside of high school.”

Posting their first podcast on April 26, the boys plan to post a new podcast three times a week at 9:30 a.m. with news on Mondays, a guest on Wednesdays, and story time on Fridays.

Whatever the given topic, the heart of the podcast is shaped by where they live.

“I’m in YMSL, a volunteer group,” Wise said. “And there was a guy named Chris Pratt, he’s a motivational speaker around Frisco. He was a war veteran and he’s done a bunch of tour. He basically describes Frisco like a bubble because there’s nothing like the way Frisco is in the outside world. That’s how we got the name Frisco Bubble boys because we are like the boys in the bubble.”

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...