Relying on the counselors for more

Relying on the counselors for more

Counselors are here for more than just class schedules and paper work. Wingspan's Ally Lynn gives her take on using the counselors as a safe spot to work out problems of any kind.

Noah Servigon

Noah Servigon

Noah Servigon

Allie Lynn, Guest Contributor

Although there are counselors on campus for students, only about 75 percent of students on campus end up visiting the counselor’s office, with numbers even lower if the visit is about something other than a scheduling issue.

Some students feel they will be judged or their conversations will not be confidential and others simply don’t know how to make an appointment or even where the counselors’ office is.

If students do end up going to the counselors’ office, the conversation is usually school related. But counselors are for more than school-related topics, they can provide guidance for real issues in student’s lives.

70 percent of students hide their online behavior from their parents. Since most students do not share online behavior with their parents, having someone who offers advice to students other than friends their own age is so important for students. But, students fear that what they share will not be confidential and could possibly be shared with their parents. Others feel that counselors will judge them for their mistakes and will feel uncomfortable in the situation.

Another problem students come across when debating on going to a counselor, is the fact of not knowing how to set up an appointment with a counselor or where to go. However, there are many ways for students to set up a counseling appointment.

In most schools, there is one counselor for every 482 students and usually, students are assigned to a certain counselor. Students can always ask staff on campus about how to set up an appointment, but one of the most common ways is to go to the counselors’ office and talk to the secretary there.

With 25 percent of students never attending counseling sessions, it is important for students to be informed about the benefits of school counseling. From simply listening to problems to helping make difficult decisions, counselors offer a supportive and encouraging atmosphere for students.

Counselors also give helpful advice on how to handle difficult situations as well as studying tips. With lots to offer, students should consider seeing a counselor in order to handle problems and much more.