Weaving through after school traffic

Texas transportation is getting an update, with the Texas Transportation Corporation and the State of Texas investing a total of $142 billion to reduce congestion and improve safety and connectivity.

Shreya Jagan, Guest Contributor

It’s a scene seen every school day.

Dozens of cars in the fire line in front of the school.

Cars double parked behind others in the parking lot.

Cars idling on Rolater Road waiting to turn into the parking lot.

Each sitting and waiting, in order to beat the traffic out of the school when classes end at 4:15 p.m.

“I try to avoid the traffic as much as I can,” parent Virna Sanchez said. “There are so many cars that line up even past the school’s perimeter. I have to get to school at 3:30 p.m., just so that there isn’t a forty-five minute wait to pick up my kid.”

But with 30, 40, 50 plus cars waiting outside the school, some parents resort to picking up their children on Rolater; a safety issue for many people.

“Many parents will stop in the middle of the road,” Frisco PD school resource officer Glen Hubbard said. “On top of this, many students aren’t watching where they’re going and they need to be more aware of their surroundings. Parents are just in such a rush, sometimes they don’t realize how dangerous the things they’re doing truly are.”

With the rush to get off campus at the end of the day, and a constant backup of cars, students such as freshman Leo Lombardi think there needs to be a new system for after school pick up.

“I really think it’s a little flawed,” he said. “There just needs to be a better cycle. Parents are sometimes a little too careless, and the students are pretty much oblivious to a lot of things that happen, which is dangerous especially on the road.”

But with the end of the school year just days away, many parents are ready to for a break in the after school gridlock.

“Honestly, it’s tiring,” parent Amparo Landauro said. “The whole school year, we’ve been picking up and dropping off our children, I think all of us parents are just so anxious to be done with the year. At this point, it’s mainly just a get and go situation.”