Orchestra heads to Chicago

In order to be invited to play at the Midwest Clinic and Convention, groups from all over the globe submitted a recording. The symphony submitted their first recording last year and was chosen as one of the only three groups invited.

While students are getting ready for the upcoming winter break and holidays, orchestra is leaving Monday for a trip to Chicago to perform at an international convention.

The Midwest Clinic exhibits the latest music trends and education, offering clinics on a wide variety of aspects, from literature to conducting. In order to be invited to play on its stage, groups from all over the globe submit a recording. The symphony submitted their first recording last year and was chosen as one of the only three groups invited.

There is nothing that the Liberty HS Band or Orchestra programs could do or have done in 10 years that will bring as much attention and international focus and spotlight as the Midwest Clinic

— band director Jamie Weaver

“It is the pinnacle of performance opportunities for a high school group and the amount of amazing groups that are turned down each year is staggering,” band director Jamie Weaver said. “We are very excited, very fortunate, very humbled and very proud.”

According to Weaver, the trip will be one of a kind.

“There is nothing that the Liberty HS Band or Orchestra programs could do or have done in 10 years that will bring as much attention and international focus and spotlight as the Midwest Clinic,” Weaver said.

Members of the symphony have been practicing since before the school year started and many incoming freshman had to adjust to a school change on top of practices.

“It’s just been a lot of hard work,” freshman Tay Nguyen said. “It was a huge jump from middle school to high school and I’ve been trying to juggle practicing for Midwest along with studying for my core classes.”

For others, the trip is humbling.

“I’m so excited for Chicago,” junior Grace Leung said. “I’m blessed to be able to have the opportunity to go.”

The band, orchestra, and directors will be traveling 15 hours together by bus to Chicago, but Weaver says he couldn’t have asked for better traveling companions.

“I cannot imagine myself going on this trip with a better group of people,” Weaver said. “Beyond the actual performance, this will be the moment we talk about at reunions for years to come. It will be a special time with my absolute best friends.”

Weaver also believes that the trip is more meaningful for the students than it is to him.

I’m blessed to be able to have the opportunity to go.

— junior Grace Leung

“This trip isn’t as important to me for my sake as it is for the students’ sake,” Weaver said. “I love that they are getting the recognition they deserve for how amazing they are.”

Ultimately, Weaver credits a number of people for making the trip to Chicago not only possible, but memorable.

“I owe it to the students of the Liberty Band,” Weaver said. “I owe it to all of the teachers I have had over the years, and I owe it to the Liberty HS and Frisco ISD community to help the kids achieve a level of performance that is worthy of all of their hard work and effort. It will be a great trip, indeed.”