Casting for Matilda enters final stages

Yael Even

Matilda’s opening night will be December 5th, and students are getting ready to find out their roles. The final step of the audition process is Thursday.

Yael Even, Managing Editor

Singing and dancing auditions are over for Matilda The Musical, and now on Thursday it’s the  last round of auditions as callbacks are from 4:30-7:00 p.m.

“Usually for callbacks we read scenes from the characters Mrs. Willingham [theatre director Heather Willingham] is considering casting us as,” junior Annelise Best said. “Since it’s my 3rd year in Liberty theatre I’m not too nervous because I’m familiar with the directors and the process.”

Although it’s senior Lauren Head’s fourth year in the theater program, the nerves still get to her.

“I’m anticipating doing lots of scene reading,” Head said. “Auditions are a little nerve racking and take a lot of preparation but they definitely get easier the more that you do them.” 

Thursday’s call back auditions are the final step in what will be a slightly different direction for the theatre department. 

“This is a contemporary musical, which has not happened on the Liberty stage in quite a while,” Willingham said. “I’m looking forward to the magic created on stage in this show, as well as the chance to feature the incredible talent we have here at Liberty.”