Monet and masterpieces provide perspective and inspiration

AP art students visit Fort Worth’s Kimbell Museum

Aaron Boehmer

AP art students spent Friday at the Kimbell Museum in Fort Worth where they spent the day examining the works of Monet. “The purpose of this field trip is to see the later year works of Monet and to learn about impressionism and what made his work so important and controversial,” art teacher Pernie Fallon said. “It’s to expose the art classes to the masterpieces.”

AP art students expand their horizons on Friday as they head to Fort Worth to visit the Kimbell Museum’s Monet: The Late Years exhibition. 

It’s rare that you get to see the entire body of work in one place and this collection has taken about three years to get it put together,

— AP art teacher Pernie Fallon

“The purpose of this field trip is to see the later year works of Monet and to learn about impressionism and what made his work so important and controversial,” art teacher Pernie Fallon said. “We’ll see other styles of art, including Michelangelo‘s first painting and some Picassos and other artworks. It’s to expose the art classes to the masterpieces.” 

Junior Catherine Tong believes a trip like this provides a community of common interest. 

“I think the trip is good because students who are all interested in art are going together and they can discuss the art they look at,” Tong said. “I’m so interested to see the Monet exhibit.” 

The opportunity to see Monet’s complete collection doesn’t come around often. 

“It’s rare that you get to see the entire body of work in one place and this collection has taken about three years to get it put together,” Fallon said. “It doesn’t tour to very many places, so we’re very fortunate to see the entire body of work together in one place so it can be studied.” 

I think seeing Monet and his works will give all of us a lot of inspiration,

— junior Anica Liu

Students should not only appreciate the art pieces, but Fallon sees the physical building is a work of its own. 

“I love the Kimbell Museum, it’s a world class museum,” Fallon said. “The architecture was designed by Louis Kahn and the new building was designed by Renzo Piano. So the architecture of the museum in and of itself is quite interesting and their collection of artwork is some of the finest in the world.” 

For junior Anica Liu, stepping out of the physical classroom allows students to gain perspective and inspiration. 

“We get to see things you don’t really get to see in the classroom setting,” junior Anica Liu said. “I think seeing Monet and his works will give all of us a lot of inspiration.”