Redhawks down Wakeland, ready for Reedy

Madeline Aronson

The Redhawks get ready to spike the ball in a game against Grapevine. The Redhawks came out on top of Wakeland ahead of their game against Reedy on Tuesday.

Maddie Aronson, Managing Editor

Taking on the Wakeland Wolverines Friday in the opening match of District 9-5A play, the Redhawks began defense of their district championship with a 3-2 win.

“Against Wakeland, I was excited for that game to end, because it was really so stressful. We didn’t start as strong as we would have liked to,” head volleyball coach Ui Womble said. “We really picked up our momentum in the last few sets, and ultimately in the points that really mattered.”

Back on the court Tuesday at Reedy with the Redhawks taking on the Lions starting at 6:30 p.m., sophomore Paeton Davis hopes the momentum from Friday carries over.

“I feel really excited, we really just came out there and kicked butt. We really just put it away in the fifth set as a team,” Davis said. “I really think this sets the tone for the season, and the game against Reedy. A lot of people thought we couldn’t do anything because there’s a whole lot of new people on the team, and a lot of new players, but we came out there and showed them what we can do.”