High fives foster positivity

Sydney Andros

High Five Friday is one of the main events put on by Pulse on campus, but it may look a little different next year as the club makes the switch to PALs, also adding a new PALs class to the course catalog for the 2020-21 school year. "It is going to be a combination of our PALs program, which is a nationwide program, and the PULSE club which already exists on campus, and benefits campus culture through some social and cultural learning,” assistant principal Stacey Whaling said.

Madison Saviano, Staff Reporter

Pulse’s High Five Fridays are a school wide event that occurs once a month. Designed to help amp up school spirit, it’s become part of the school’s culture. 

“We feel that High Five Friday helps students because it allows for small, positive interactions to start the day,” Pulse club sponsor, counselor Staci Stokes said. “We hope that these positive interactions over time help to foster a climate of positivity here at LHS.”

Helping increase school spirit is one of the reasons why sophomore Shriya Senapathi joined Pulse. 

“I just want to be a part of a club that shows my school pride,” Senapathi said. “I want to be a part of clubs I genuinely enjoy. It’s a true Liberty club and I’m just really excited. My friends said [the club] was really fun as well.”

The process of converting ideas into reality isn’t as simple as it may seem.

“We prepare for High Five Friday by first deciding a theme for the event that also coincides with the Redhawk Rant taking place during advisory on that same day,” Stokes said. “We make a music playlist and Pulse members make positive posters to display during the morning event as well.”

Club officers work to ensure that High Five Friday runs smoothly and push students to mimic the positive energy. 

“HFF doesn’t take too much organization, but a lot of communication to make sure everyone is on the same page about time and location,” Pulse president, senior Amelia Jauregui said. “We make sure we have posters of encouragement that go along the theme as well.”