Fashion II student ties loose ends for Red Rhythm

Yael Even

After taking Fashion I, senior Julianna Brooks helps out Red Rhythm. With Red Rhythm needing minor repairs, Brooks puts her skills to the test.

Yael Even, Managing Editor

Fashion II student, senior Julianna Brooks gets real hands on experience as she has the chance to help out Red Rhythm. As Red Rhythm needs a few repairs here and there on their costumes, Brooks is willing to help.

“Last year I took Fashion Design I, we made scarves and did other projects there, so that got me ready to take Fashion Design II,” Brooks said “It was nice knowing I could help with skirts or what they needed, even if it’s just a little thing, I feel like I’m contributing to Red Rhythm.”

Fashion design teacher, Kristi Swinnea is eager to put Brooks’s skills to the test.

“Julianna gets experience with a wide variety of alterations and redesigns,” fashion design teacher Kristi Swinnea said. “Julianna has sewing experience, is hard working, willing, and is very capable.”

Although Brooks is only in high school, Red Rhythm director Nicole Nothe wasn’t hesitant to give Brooks the job.

“Mrs. Swinnea told us about Juliana and how she was a talented seamstress,” Nothe said. “Juliana has an opportunity to work with dance costumes that are made of fabrics that she may have not worked with before. The Red Rhythm Directors are offering her volunteer hours as well for her time. Red Rhythm benefits from Juliana’s help because the costumes fit the dancers correctly and it helps them feel beautiful in their costumes.

Brooks is not only benefiting the dance team, but also herself.

“I think it will just help me in the future,” Brooks said.” “If I tear something in my own clothing I could repair it. I don’t plan on majoring in it, but I think it just be like a hobby or a thing I do on the side.”