Humanities Museum of Ancient Civilizations

Caroline Attmore

AP English Language and American Studies students are exploring current events in class. “Long term, it’s just good to know what’s going on around the world to make sure that they’re kind of being informed and they’re able to make their own kind of decisions based on seeing different perspectives of the same issue,” Harrison said.

Trisha Dasgupta, Staff Reporter

For their first major grade project of the year, Humanities students are working with their peers to create interactive museum exhibits that portray the cultures of various ancient civilizations with their work put on display in October.  

“The goal is to explore the world before 1450 and explore how different cultures expressed their answers to questions of worldviews,” Humanities teacher Sarah Wiseman said. “We’re hoping that students are able to work on providing contextualization as well as assertions and commentary.”

Students such as sophomore Biyanka Hati appreciate the chance to dive deeper into the history they’re learning. 

“The museum project seems like a very interesting way for [us] to take what [we’ve] learned about a place and transform it into a museum piece,” Hati said via text. “It’s a great way to teach history and it also enables [us] to think deeper and embrace [our] artistic sides.”

The project is both interesting and daunting to freshman Shannon Christian. 

“In middle school GT we [had] done similar projects regarding the museum setup and oral presentations, but the topics weren’t researched as in depth as we are researching them now,” she said via text. “As a freshman I do feel overwhelmed at times due to the sheer idea of working on something for months at a time.” 

However, Hati believes the freshmen may not have anything to be afraid of. 

“Taking Humanities as a freshmen can be a bit nerve-wracking,” Hati said. “All I can say is don’t worry. Ms. Evans and Ms. Wiseman are great teachers and they’re always willing to help when needed.”