AP registration opens four months early

Courtesy of Jeff Crowe

AP Exams started this Monday with the AP U.S Government and Politics and Japanese Language and Culture exams at 8 a.m. this morning.

Trisha Dasgupta, Staff Reporter

AP registration is now open for all students in AP classes, and will end Nov. 1, a registration deadline four months earlier than it has been in years past. 

“The [College Board] has moved its new policy which is going to be interesting to observe,” AP Human Geography teacher Tim Johannes said. “It really depends on how the school decides to roll it out.”

For sophomore Rachel Lee, the change to an earlier deadline isn’t a positive one.

“If you don’t know what you’re going to do in the future then you don’t really know what test to take,” Lee said. “It can be a hard decision to make, especially so quickly.”

However Johannes believes that there are certain aspects students should consider to help them make the decision on whether or not to take an AP test.

“[The exam] is almost a $100 so it’s not free, but you do get college credit, so it seems like a pretty good deal,” Johannes said. “I think if you don’t sign up [for the test] you don’t have as much of a buy-in to the class. You know, you work harder when you know there’s a test at the end.”

In addition to the benefit of possible college credit, counselor Ryan Kiefer believes that the AP test also provides students with important experiences to prepare them for college.

“If you take an AP exam and get a 3, 4, or 5 you can get college credit for that class,” Kiefer said. “It’s also that this kind of rigorous exam is exactly what students will be taking when they get to college.

Is Nov. 1 too early for students to decide if they are going to take an AP exam?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.