Band shows off for parents and middle school

provided by Robbie Violante

Marching band has a new assistant director of bands as Cecily Yoakam joins the Redhawks after the departure of Zack Anderson. “We are extremely excited to have Ms. Yoakam join us this year. Not only is she a talented musician, she fits perfectly into the Liberty Band culture which is incredibly focused on the development of leadership skills for all students,” director Jamie Weaver said. “Ms. Yoakam was the Drum Major for the Union HS Band for three years where she received a William Revelli Scholarship from Music for All.”

Abby Wang, Staff Reporter

Parents got a sneak at this year’s band contest show, Cloud 9, Friday night on the school field. 

“We put a lot of new elements on the field and so it’s awesome to see all the pieces of the puzzle come together,” color guard director Scott Mills said. “The big goal [of the preview] was to feel confident and comfortable with performing all of our show. Although that may not always be the case, we try to push to be as in control of our surroundings as possible.”

Band directors were able to work with Vandeventer Middle School, to give 8th grade band students the opportunity to attend the preview after the middle school concert earlier Friday.

“This was the first time we were able to coordinate the Vandeventer Middle School band concert in tandem with what we were doing to allow them to see the show and be excited for marching band,” Associate Director of Bands Zack Anderson said. “The takeaway for the 8th graders is that band is much more than what they believe it to be. They can see the production and be excited about what they can eventually be a part of.”

The band is entering the heart of its competition season, but with all the contests outside of Frisco, Friday’s show gave parents the opportunity to view the show in a more convenient setting.

“It was amazing, it was awesome,” parent Kristen Radford said. “The show two years ago, Dystopia, which was my girls’ first show was great, and this was beyond that.”

Band students were able to use Friday’s preview show as a simulation of a competition as well as a learning experience, with two full runs of the UIL show performed.

“Never give up,” mellophone player, junior Michael Yu said. “Because our first run was not too great, I felt like people were starting to lose hope. But I told everyone, ‘Hey guys, keep your heads up!’ and our second run was probably our best run yet.”