Piece by Piece: prison rehabilitation

Morgan Kong

Staff reporter Madison Saviano explores hot topics and issues that students face in her weekly column Piece by Piece.

Madison Saviano, Staff Reporter

The confines of prison go much further than just the walls and convicts find themselves trapped even after their shackles have fallen. Prison rehabilitation is key in putting an end to the vicious cycle that hinders prisoners and civilians alike. As early adults approaching voting age it is our responsibility to ensure that the criminal justice system is reformed. 

While there are efforts to rehabilitate prisoners, they are clearly not being implemented well as

the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics reports that to date two-thirds of released prisoners are arrested at least one more time. There is even a term for this: recidivism. All of which goes to show the lack of a successful prison rehabilitation program perpetuates recidivism. 

A solution is dire and would not only behoove prisoners themselves, but virtually every member of society. This all plays into the grand scheme of things: if prisoners are properly rehabilitated, fewer would ideally return to prison. As a result, taxpayers wouldn’t have to allocate as much money to prison upkeep. As such, this problem is obviously relevant to all Americans, but yet it never seems to gain proper traction. Too many look at this problem as simply a checkmark on a list when in reality it requires a much more extensive look. 

“Prison rehabilitation” entails much more than a few courses and a diploma. Think of prison as a high school detention room. Within the room are a variety of kids who, although may be there for a wide variety of reasons, are ultimately trying to reach the same goal. Most kids there are likely repeat offenders and, while obviously there are some exceptions, (the kid who forgot his homework one time too many, the girl whose shorts were a centimeter too short) the vast majority will still be there next Saturday for some other offense. These kids aren’t inherently bad, they’re just in need of more specialized assistance. Luckily these kids have counselors at their disposal, willing to devote time and energy to ensure their success. In contrast, prisoners have a “Get up and Go!” pamphlet. 

While there are prison counselors, I find it hard to believe that one counselor could sufficiently provide enough support for all the cases they are assigned. The ratio of prisoners to prison aid is simply too dramatic a difference. There are measures to ensure that counselors have fewer cases so that they can devote the most time possible to those deemed as at “the highest risk to recidivate and have the highest‑need for rehabilitation programs,” but who is fit to essentially deem one a lost cause and another the contrary? How can it be ensured that some unlikely candidates aren’t slipping through their fingers?

The answer is simple. Provide the option for more extensive help to all. Although the budget may bulge, the return would be enormous and surely enough to compensate. The economy rewards rehabilitation. The problem cannot be solved by a slap on the back and a thumbs up, but rather by an attentive ear that is willing to listen.