All-Region auditions not for the faint-hearted

Lucas Barr

All-Region orchestra auditions take place on Saturday at Jasper High School. Freshmen, sophomores, and juniors are able to audition for the lower string level orchestra. The higher level is available to all grades, along a chance to make the symphonic or philharmonic orchetras.

Shreya Jagan, Staff Reporter

All-Region orchestra auditions take place on Saturday at Jasper High School, but they aren’t for the faint-hearted, as assistant orchestra director Victoria Lien attests to the rigourous preparation process. 

“All-Region is a competitive event that students can choose to participate in,” Lien said. “In order to be in All-Region Orchestra, students go through an aggressive preparation and audition process against other students in the school districts of Plano, Frisco, and Prosper. The best students from the region are chosen to later perform in the All-Region Orchestra clinic and concert, happening in December.”

The event allows for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors to audition for the lower string orchestra, with the higher level available to all grades with a chance to make the symphonic or philharmonic orchetras. 

“The key is time management,” sophomore violinist Julia Johnson said. “I usually practice at least an hour and a half in the morning before school, and if time permits I’ll practice after school as well.”

But the preparation and hard work can pay off, as the event often presents well to colleges and provides students with experiences outside of school work. 

“It can look good on college applications, especially if you’re going into music,” Johnson said. “But for me, it shows that I’ve put effort into something that matters to me outside of my school work.”

Sophomore violist Jacob Choi sees the orchestra not just as a good opportunity, but a way to make friends. 

“If you’re accepted into the region orchestra you get to practice with the rest of the students until our final performance which is on our second day of the clinic,” Choi said. “It’s a good program, but I think the best part about it is how you’re able to bond with others and become close over a common interest.”