Water dispensers in the work rooms

Kanz Bitar

New water dispensers were put in the teacher work rooms. “We’ve wanting to look into being more enviornmentally friendly and cutting down on bottled water and we’re always looking for things to help make staff feel more comfortable at work cause they spend such a large amount of their time here,” principal Ashley Rainwater said.

Kanz Bitar, Staff Reporter

Teachers on campus don’t have a lounge area sometimes found at other schools, but they now have new water dispensers in the teacher work rooms.

“I was super excited when I found out that there was gonna be good water in the teachers workroom,” geography teacher Jennifer Nelken said. “It’s actually something that I’ve been wanting for a really long time. I started bringing my own water and I didn’t think we would ever get any of our own cause the water in the sink tastes weird and smells weird. The water fountain is ok but this was very exciting.”

Now with the water dispensers, the school is able to be more enviornmental friendly. 

“This has been something we’ve been talking about for years,” principal Ashley Rainwater said. “We’ve wanting to look into being more enviornmentally friendly and cutting down on bottled water and we’re always looking for things to help make staff feel more comfortable at work cause they spend such a large amount of their time here. We wanted to allow them to feel like this is a home away from their home.”

Even though the new water might be a good thing for some teachers, it’s not really important to others.

“It’s a nice change of pace,” English teacher Katherine Allen said. “I’ve only ever filled my cup here a couple of times so the new water doesn’t really affect me but it does taste nice so I like that.”

Although teachers such as Nelken are glad to have the new water dispensers, students such as Hannah Sestha feel lucky to even have water.

“I personally don’t mind the water fountains at school,” Sestha said. “I think it’s a privilege to have water in school. People in Africa can’t really get filtered water and we get provided with water here so I think that’s something important to realize.”