Ceramics for a cause

NAHS+is+hosting+its+first+of+many+bowl-making+sessions+as+part+of+the+Empty+Bowls+project.+In+March%2C+the+finished+bowls+will+be+sold+at+Arts+in+the+Square%2C+with+all+proceeds+going+to+combat+hunger+in+North+Texas.+

provided by NAHS

NAHS is hosting its first of many bowl-making sessions as part of the Empty Bowls project. In March, the finished bowls will be sold at Arts in the Square, with all proceeds going to combat hunger in North Texas.

Aaron Boehmer, Managing Editor

Symbolizing the more than 300,000 food insecure children in the North Texas area, National Art Honor Society hosts its first Empty Bowls session Wednesday, where students create ceramic bowls after school in H106. 

“All of our profits from Empty Bowls goes towards helping the homeless in the Dallas area,” NAHS chapter president Claire Oh said. “I believe it benefits the community as a whole in a fun and interactive way. It also allows them to diversify their mediums by using clay, which only ceramics usually get to use. It’s an easy and exciting way to get involved in the community.” 

After glazing the bowls in the second semester, art teacher Fred Rodriguez looks forward to seeing the bowls displayed on a table during Arts in the Square March 30-31. 

“I always love seeing the final product of the bowls that students make, not just from our school, but throughout district,” Rodriguez said. “I think it’s good because it encourages students can something that can effect and give back to the community. So they are able to make something and show their art work but also give back to people who need it.” 

Seeing Empty Bowls as an opportunity to mix interests and volunteer work, junior Jiwon Han can’t wait to make art for charity. 

“It’s a way to incorporate art with volunteering and I think it’s a good cause and an opportunity to do something with your friends,” Han said. “Especially if you’re interested in art, it’s something to connect your interests with volunteering, so it’s a good opportunity for students because they can learn how there are different forms of volunteering.”