Astronomy brings planets to the hallways

Yael Even

Science teacher, Kenric Davies, was recently named the next President Elect of the Science Teachers of Texas Association after being a member for several years.

Yael Even, Managing Editor

Taking the material out of the classroom, astronomy classes spent time in the hallways on Tuesday learning about the distances between planets and the sun through scale models.

“We were walking out a scale model of the solar system,” astronomy teacher Kendrick Davies said. “We had objects that represented the planets, on a scale of 1 to 10 billion and this is important for the students to see how small and far apart they are. We needed an entire school hallway from one end to the other to show just out to Saturn, we couldn’t even finish the whole solar system. This is going to help start our big scale model project that we are going to be building through the rest of the semester.”

Using scale models has opened junior Sarah Cornelius’s perspective of the solar system.

“I like it,” Cornelius said. “I think it’s pretty cool, I didn’t know how far apart they were, or how big they were or small they are until we did this project.”

For senior Aiden Sanders, Tuesday’s demonstration was a way to put his knowledge to the test.

“Now we are mapping how big the planets are in the hallways of the school,” Sanders said. “It’s making me realize that the planets are a lot further away than we thought they were. I’m liking it a lot actually, I’m actually able to walk around the school and learn something new other than just sitting in the classroom.”