Wrestling team launches into season

Sarah Boutouis

Senior Karina Quiros Zarate (top) takes down senior Emily Corona (bottom) during practice. With their season just kicking off, wrestling prepares for three consecutive days of dual starting Thursday, Nov. 21, 2019.

Maddie Aronson, Managing Editor

Rolling into season, wrestling takes on three straight days of competition, with their first duel with Justin Northwest Thursday at 6:30 a.m. at home, and then heading to Rockwall Heath for their first tournament Friday at 9:00 a.m. for women, and Saturday at 10:00 a.m. for men.

“I think the expectations are just to kind of see where we’re at as a team,” assistant wrestling coach Justin Koons said. “We lost some good senior leadership last year, and this is an opportunity for some new leadership to come up, and we’re looking forward and are pretty excited to see who actually steps up and will lead this team, both on the girl and the boys side.”

After months of preseason, Koons believes his team is geared for success, as long as their practice translates into their competition. 

“Our focus is really just on our technique, and doing what we do well,” Koons said. “If we do the little things well, we should be alright, and obviously were trying to get the most matches that we can for everybody.” 

For senior wrestler Gervnate Thompson, the start of the new season is a way to make a fresh impression on teams around the area, and show that the Redhawks are coming into season fighting. 

“I expect us to go out there and really just hammer them in the mouth, and show them that were not someone you can work around,” Thompson said. “I at least want to prove my worth, because I know that last year I didn’t do that well, but now I just really want to show out for varsity and show what I’m capable of.”

These first few competitions are important for the team to build up a foundation, and sophomore Seth Haynes believes that it can set the tone for a successful season.

“I think that this weekend will give us momentum for how we do, but also it will tell us how we can improve,” Haynes said. “I’m feeling excited, and I’m ready to win. I have been trying to hype myself up because wrestling can be rough and you have to be aggressive, and I gotta switch my mindset for that.”