Dual credit spring enrollment deadline ends

Nick Young

Frisco ISD has a long-lasting partnership with colleges in the area to provide students the ability to fulfill high school credits while also earning college credits.

Trisha Dasgupta, Staff Reporter

Students are getting ready to register for spring semester Dual Credit classes, with the deadline for registration and class fees Wednesday at 8:00 p.m.

“Dual Credit is an opportunity in high school to take classes at a local community college such as Collin College,” school counselor Staci Stokes said. “You get credit for both high school courses and college classwork in the same class.”

With all the choices students can take, Stokes thinks that Dual Credit is a unique opportunity. 

“I would definitely encourage students to consider taking dual credit, because there are a lot of things a student would need to look into and research in order to make the best decision for them,” Stokes said. “It is a great opportunity to get college credit in high school.”

For sophomore Hattie Northrip, dual credit classes provide a possible cheaper alternative to future classes she may have to take in college.

“I’d like to take dual credit so I have the option to save money and time by already completing courses,” Northrip said via text. “It’s nice because with Dual, instead of getting a college credit based off of one test that compares you to other students, you get the credit from passing the class.”

Stokes believes that there are many things to take into consideration when choosing between AP and Dual Credit classes. 

“The biggest difference between AP and dual credit is going to be how you actually earn college credit,” Stokes said. “In dual credit, when you pass that class, you get college credit. With AP classes, you have to take the test in May, and if you score high enough you get college credit. The other big difference is that dual credit is going to be taught by Collin College professors.”

Taking dual credit course for the first time this year, senior Jacqueline Kaczala finds the class to be a nice alternative to traditional AP classes.

“Dual credit is a good middle ground between on level and AP but you still get the college credit which is really nice,” Kaczala said. “I honestly recommend it to everyone because the classes are pretty fun, the teachers are great, and it prepares you for how college classes work.”