Breen brings in 25 days of photography

Freshman+Harshitha+Suryadevara+takes+a+picture+for+her+25+day+project+in+photojournalism.+%E2%80%9CBasically+its+giving+a+theme+every+day+for+25+days+that+a+student+can+interpret+however+they+want+to+and+take+a+photo+of+something+related+to+that+topic%2C%E2%80%9D+photojournalism+teacher+Kim+Breen.+

Ana Toro

Freshman Harshitha Suryadevara takes a picture for her 25 day project in photojournalism. “Basically its giving a theme every day for 25 days that a student can interpret however they want to and take a photo of something related to that topic,” photojournalism teacher Kim Breen.

Ana Toro, Guest Contributor

25 different themes for 25 days is the basis of a project in Kim Breen’s photojournalism class which seeks to provide students with the chance to expand their creativity and explore the many levels of composition in photography.

“Basically its giving a theme every day for twenty five days that a student can interpret however they want to and take a photo of something related to that topic,” Breen said. “So basically 25 different photos for 25 different days.”

The project is designed to give students a deeper understanding of the various levels of composition that are associated with photography.

“I just want students to kind of get used to looking at the world in a photographic way,” Breen said. “To just think more often about taking photos and to think more about how composition makes photos better and the best way to do that is through practice. Just keep taking photos.”

Students are enjoying being able to go to different places to take pictures and not being confined to the classroom and the hallways

“My favorite part of the project has been getting to move around and go to different locations and take photos,” freshman Abigail Passmore said. “I think this is a good way to see various elements of photography because it puts you into a place where you have to find them or would like to try and find them and just have fun with it.”

Others are enjoying the freedom to interpret the themes in any way they please. 

“I think that my favorite part of this project is the freedom we get when taking pictures,” freshman Samantha Natividad said. “Instead of following classroom restrictions, I really appreciate the fact that we are able to express ourselves creatively outside of class with this project as well as how we can interpret our prompts to any extent.”