Redhawks plan to take on both the Warriors and Rangers

Redhawks have a lot on their plate as both teams take on the Memorial Warriors and the Lebanon Trail Blazers Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. Going their separate ways, the girls team make their way to the Texas Women’s Classic at Lewisville High School Friday and Saturday, and the boys compete in the Raider Invitational on Saturday at Wylie East High School at 9:00 a.m.

Maddie Aronson, Managing Editor

It’s another busy week for the wrestling program as the teams take on both the Memorial Warriors and the Lone Star Rangers Thursday at Memorial starting at 6:00 p.m. That’s followed by the girls heading to the Texas Women’s Classic at Lewisville High School on Friday and Saturday, and the boys competing in the Raider Invitational on Saturday at Wylie East High School at 9:00 a.m.

“Well we’re pretty banged up, ” assistant wrestling coach Tim Brennan said. “For the boys dual, Gervante is now hurt, so I think we’re forfeiting 5 weights, which means we’re spotting the other team 30 points. Now every time I’ve given up 18 points, we’ve won, were 6-1 in duals, but we haven’t given up 30 before, so that will be the challenge, it’s overcoming that.” 

For the boys’ tournament, Brennan expects some heavy competition. 

“It’s an unbelievably tough tournament, I think it’s going to be a great experience,” Brennan said. “You’ve got Highland Park there, you’ve got the Wylie school there, there’s some unbelievably tough teams in this tournament, which is what we want this time of year.” 

Also looking forward to a tough weekend is senior Megan Wiedebnach who is excited to face schools from around the state. 

“TWC is a very hard tournament a lot of teams come in from districts that we don’t usually see, like out in West Texas, like El Paso,” Weidenbach said. “We get to see Hanks, which is one of our biggest rivals, which is really good, they just graduated a lot of girls, so we’re excited to see their fresh lineup, it’ll be tough, but I’m expecting that well push through and do pretty well as usual.” 

With each tournament, the girls are looking to make improvements in their skills, and for sophomore Maliyah Ross, this is the perfect opportunity to do just that. 

“I am hoping that I win more matches that I have at the beginning of the year, I just want to work the moves I know,” Ross said. “I have been working on top bottom, and escaping so I hope I can do that this weekend.”