AP drop window now open

Kasey Harvey

AP Literature students work in groups on a month long project exploring eras of literature.

Ashvita Girish, Staff Reporter

With the first semester ending Dec. 20, drop forms for Pre-AP and AP courses are available beginning Friday and can be found outside the counselor’s office.

“If students have been struggling for the first semester or are not likely to pass in the class they’re currently in, then obviously we want students to have that ability to pass,” counselor Ryan Kiefer said. “If that doesn’t look like something they’d be able to if they continued in a Pre-AP or AP class so we want to afford them the opportunity to level down.”

Students who are finding their Pre-AP or AP classes unmanageable have until Dec. 19  to fill out, and return, their drop request form. 

“I dropped out of precalculus because last year I took on-level and it was pretty easy,” junior Bailey Irvin said. “I thought I could push myself and take an AP class but the pace was a little too fast for me.”

Giving students an opportunity to drop classes can help minimize stress and relieve pressure, which allows them to focus on other extracurriculars.

“I dropped out of my AP World History class because I had a lot of extracurriculars and I wasn’t able to cope up with the work,” sophomore Kavya Srinivas said. “I thought I could manage it but I wasn’t able to catch up on sleep because I had other workloads and it became very hard to manage.”