Sweden close to home for freshman

Swedish relatives help bring a piece of Scandinavia to Texas

It’s really fun having Swedish family members, especially growing up with my grandparents,” freshman Katarina Eriksson said. “It’s really cool learning about their Swedish experiences.”

Katarina has many family members in Sweden, but it is her grandparents who she is closest with. They lived in Sweden for many years before deciding to move to America.

Emma Crampton

“It’s really fun having Swedish family members, especially growing up with my grandparents,” freshman Katarina Eriksson said. “It’s really cool learning about their Swedish experiences.” Katarina has many family members in Sweden, but it is her grandparents who she is closest with. They lived in Sweden for many years before deciding to move to America.

Emma Crampton, Guest Contributor

While most students are used to learning strictly American culture, freshman Katarina Eriksson learns all about beliefs and everyday ways in Stockholm, Sweden.

“It’s really fun having Swedish family members, especially growing up with my grandparents,” Katarina said. “It’s really cool learning about their Swedish experiences.”

“I have lived in Sweden on and off, for 9 years all together,” grandmother Carmen Eriksson said.

Her grandparents have a lot of experience and a lot to teach, with Katarina practicing Swedish on her own time.

“I know a bit of Swedish and I’ve been practicing on the app ‘Duolingo’,” Katarina said.

The Scandinavian country is a special place to the Eriksson family.

“My favorite thing about Sweden is the natural environment and nature,” grandfather Ingvard Eriksson said.

Although at home in America, there are some things that seem to be lacking in the eyes of the Eriksson family.

“The people in Sweden are nicer than the ones in America,” Katarina said. “The people are nicer and the weather is better.”

Her grandparents have lived there for a long time, giving Katarina a lot to learn from.

“I am so happy that Katarina has the opportunity to learn more about Swedish culture,” Carmen said.

Carmen is proud that her granddaughter is following in her footsteps as far as the Swedish life.

“The best thing about Sweden is the people and all the culture,” Katarina said. “I find it really fascinating to get to know my family’s history.”