Soccer strives to start district win streak

Fighting to keep possession, midfielder, junior Summer Knox dribbles the ball down the field. The girls’ side plays the Warriors Tuesday at home at 7 p.m. while the boys play at Wakeland at 7:15 p.m.

Remi Williams, Staff Reporter

The start of District 9-5A action did not go how either the girls’ team or boys’ team would have hoped. With the games postponed on Friday due to a severe weather alert, the teams took on Memorial High School Monday with the Warriors winning both games, 1-0 for the boys, and 7-2 on the girl’s side. 

Neither team has time to practice before their next games as they take on Wakeland Tuesday evening, with boys’ team traveling west to take on the Wolverines, and the girls’ team playing at home. 

“I mean it’s another really tough opponent but every game is winnable,” girls’ head coach Liz Mokler said. “I just really want to see us work and fix the things that we that we didn’t handle [Monday], I would just like to see that we’re coachable, and that we hear the feedback and that we actually do something with that feedback that’s kind of what I’m looking for because that’s the stuff that will help make us better going forward.”

With three games this week the girls team is trying to keep their heads up and ‘bounce off of each other’s energy’.

“I think we need to start communicating more and hold each other accountable for good things or bad things,” team captain, junior Ally White said. “And just stepping up and taking ownership and taking full responsibility for your role as a player.”