Changing closet to studio, Weidenbach finds her own space

Michael Martin

Making the closet her own, senior Megan Weidenbach has found a place to make art on campus. Making a new creation, Weidenbach shapes a face from clay.

The 10 foot by 11.6 foot art closet in the H Hall used to be solely for storage. Now, with a desk and fairy lights, it is the makeshift art studio of senior Megan Weidenbach. 

“My schedule is really tight this year with the classes that I’m taking,” Megan said. “So AP drawing didn’t have a class period that fit into my schedule, so they put me in PAP Art 2, and I’ve been working on my portfolio to supplement those grades. “

With the help of art teacher Pernie Fallon, Megan is able to work on her projects in her special studio. 

“Ms. Fallon was like ‘there’s this little desk in the closet if you want to be like Harry Potter and live there for a couple semesters, that would be alright with me’,” Megan said. “So I decorated it and that is where I do most of my 2D stuff. I just work on my AP portfolio. There’s not a lot of distractions in my little closet.”

The designated room allows Megan to work more freely and with more space. 

“It is a large class and she needed space to do her more advanced art work,” Fallon said. “Megan is an artist who likes to explore techniques and concepts whether it is in two dimensions, such as drawing or painting, or three dimensions, sculpture or ceramics.”

Megan began her art career in middle school, and has since taken six art classes in high school. 

“I took art in middle school,” Megan said. “The teacher there wasn’t very nice to me so I didn’t take any classes after that. I started back up again in high school. But before that, I’ve been taking classes at local studios and stuff like that.”

Since then, Megan has found a passion for art. 

“I felt like I was pretty good at it, and it was something that I really enjoyed,” Megan said. “So I kept pursuing it and it turned out pretty well because everybody else really likes my art, so I just kept doing it.” 

As she has evolved as an artist, her interest has become apparent to her family. 

“Megan’s love for art has grown over the years,” mom Janet Weidenbach said. “She has definitely developed her own style.”

Pulling inspiration from past styles of painting, Megan has created her own. 

“I draw a lot of inspiration from the post impressionist movement, like very bold colors and strokes and stuff,” Megan said. “But I do like to incorporate a lot of detail. Like I do a lot of penwork whenever I’m not doing ceramics and I like very bold bright colors.”

As Megan has grown artistically, art has enabled her to grow in various ways. 

“Art has helped her express her creativity,” Janet said. “It motivates her and has taught her to take pride in the things she is good at. I hope she never stops creating and I hope she finds a career that will allow her to continue to do what she loves.”

As an aspiring artist, Megan hopes to pursue her passion in the future. 

“It’s definitely something that I would love to incorporate into my career,” Megan said. “If I can potentially open up a studio and sell my own work on top of that, that would be so awesome. That would be like the dream.”