Wrestling ends in mixed results

Competing in the Rumble at The Rock on Friday and Saturday, the wrestling teams saw improvement placing the highest out of the district teams at the tournament. Their results against tough competition give them motivation heading further into the season.

Maddie Aronson, Managing Editor

The wrestling program wrapped up another weekend of competition with the girls winning their Thursday dual with Heritage and Whitesboro High School and coming in fourth at the Coyote Classic, while the boys lost their dual against Heritage and took third in the Coyote Classic.

“I think that the dual Thursday was really eye-opening for how we need to be focusing more on practice and getting into the right mindset for the last part of the season,” assistant coach Justin Koons said. “The Coyote Classic went well for both teams, we got to see some head to head district matches and we competed against a few 6A schools for the last time this season. I think that this weekend really got us ready for districts and that we all have specific moves that we’re going to be focusing on these next two weeks so that we can complete our absolute best for district, region, and state.”

The boys’ loss to Heritage provided the basis for a bit of redemption on Saturday. 

“For the team as a whole, I didn’t particularly like the way we wrestled on Thursday,” junior Michael Breslav said. “We bounced back strong for Coyote Classic and we patched up some technical flaws and we really turned up the intensity and pushed the pace in most of our matches which was great to see for the team.” 

Taking on some 6A wrestlers on Saturday could help the team gear up for districts, the pinnacle of the season where the team starts their journey to state. 

“We still have places to improve,” Breslav said. “But if we wrestle the same way in districts as we did during Coyote Classic, then the other teams in our district should definitely be worried because we’re going to come in hot and take it to the other teams each and every match.”