Administration building hosts flu vaccine clinic

"Administering Flu Vaccine" by Government of Prince Edward Island is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

A woman receives a vaccination for the flu virus in her upper arm. With flu season nearing, the campus is opening a flu clinic on Wednesday.

Yael Even, Managing Editor

Flu season is still here but it’s not too late to get vaccinated, and Tuesday students, staff, and family members of Frisco ISD have the chance to get a flu shot, or numerous other vaccines from 4 to 7 p.m. at the FISD Administration Building

“A company comes by and provides flu shots to our staff, family, and even students. We feel that if it’s easy and  accessible to people, they will be more likely to take it,” school nurse Emily Mikeska said. “Certainly, if you get the flu it can make you miss work or school for multiple days, which is hard for students and even for teachers, so if we can get people vaccinated, it certainly isn’t a guarantee that you will not get it, but if you do get it it may not be that bad.” 

For teachers that missed the flu vaccine clinic on campus in September, Tuesday presents another chance to get a shot. 

“The convenience is the reason I use the shot clinic each year,” CTE teacher Kandy Stevens said. “I probably wouldn’t get my flu shot otherwise. “I appreciate the fact the district coordinates this yearly in hopes of keeping its staff healthy.”

In addition to a flu shot, the following vaccines are also available:

Hepatitis A and B

Meningitis

Mmr

Tetanus

Shingles 

B12 shot

Anybody showing up to get a vaccine needs to have a photocopy of both their insurance and driver’s license to receive a vaccination at no charge. The vaccines are available for those without insurance, with prices ranging range from $20 dollars-$190.

For seniors planning on attending college, the clinic is providing required vaccinations.

“Most colleges require a meningitis vaccine, given within five years of entry to the university,” Mikeska said. “From what I understand, most seniors acquire their meningitis during middle school which puts them in the category that they probably need it again.”