Pulse to PALs, a club on campus gets a new name and class

Sydney Andros

PALS has been hosting toy drive in order to donate to hospitals, as it has been shown playing helps ease anxiety. All donations can be brougth to C138.

Trisha Dasgupta, Staff Reporter

Rising juniors and seniors interested in taking the new class, the PALs Student Ambassador Course, that starts with the 2020-2021 school year, have until Feb. 13 at 4:30 p.m. to apply.  

“Our first class is going to be in our registration booklet as our pals class. It is going to be a combination of our pals program, which is a nationwide program, and the PULSE club which already exists on campus, and benefits campus culture through some social and cultural learning,” assistant principal Stacey Whaling said. “The students will take a huge role and be very autonomous in being able to do the things they believe the campus needs and what the kids are needing.”

GT Humanities teacher Sarah Wiseman, who participated in the program during her senior year at Plano Senior High School, believes PALs provides students with useful life lessons.

“My favorite thing about the PALs program was that it taught me a lot about leadership,” Wiseman said. “The lessons I learned from being in charge of a project from start to finish and managing my fellow PALs really helped me become a better person.”

For sophomore Isra Mohammed, PALs presents a unique opportunity to show school spirit. 

“I’m definitely thinking about applying,” Mohammed said. “I really like the idea of optimism and team building and trying to connect the school together and bringing together all students from different backgrounds and ethnicities.”

The chance to gain leadership qualities is one that some students, such as sophomore Sanjana Dandu, believe sets the course apart from others.

“It seems like a course that lets you be a leader, and really lets you practice good leadership skills,” Dandu said. “Not many courses provide opportunities like that, so I think that makes it really unique.” 

While PALs is new to Frisco ISD, Wiseman wants to remind students that the course has been recognized in schools across Texas for decades. 

“I would encourage students to apply for Pals,” Wiseman said. “It is a program that is in high schools all across Texas so universities will see that on your transcript and recognise what you did. So even if it’s new to Frisco, that doesn’t mean that it’s not recognizable to colleges.”