The wonders of reading

Reading is a part of school, but guest columnist Aliza Porter doesnt think some students put enough work into it.

Aliza Porter

Reading is a part of school, but guest columnist Aliza Porter doesn’t think some students put enough work into it.

Aliza Porter, GUest Contributor

If students are struggling in English, there may be a solution. The problem may remain in the lack of reading books. Most students either don’t have any time to read, don’t like to read, get caught up in social media, or don’t read higher level books that target their age group or above, which causes students to be unprepared for English essays or college.

Although English teachers assign reading books, students don’t take advantage of that time to gain a stronger vocabulary. In some cases, students look up the summary of the book for the easy way out. Usually, English teachers expect students to read on their own so they can focus on different units they need to teach. but reading is a responsibility that isn’t taken seriously at times.

While it may be difficult reading a book in a decent amount of time, reading a book each month can create stronger analytical thinking skills. When students are assigned or encouraged to read a book each month, students are given the time to test out each book and see which genre they prefer or where their reading level stands. Having to read a book assigned by an English teacher gives students the opportunity to see how reading that specific book applies to their education growth. Having to read a book of choice helps students to find their interest and to better expand thinking in a purposeful way.

While reading helps to expand vocabulary and knowledge, it also helps to reduce stress. Stress is a major concern for most students and taking time out of a stressful day to read will reduce stress and still contribute to an improved concentration.

While summer may be a time to relax and forget about school, summer reading helps students become mentally prepared for school and become a better writer without knowing it.

When you read you are exercising your brain and reading the right level book in the summer helps for mental stimulation and better writing skills. Along with mental stimulation, reading also helps to fight Alzheimer’s disease, a progressive disease that destroys memory and other important mental functions.

And don’t be fooled by technology. Reading on a screen can slow you down by as much as 20 to 30 percent, but reading a real book is the real life savior.

If more students encourage their peers to read an interesting book, then reading a book can potentially be contagious for more students. If parents can persuade their children to read a book by reading aloud to them, then students can encourage their peers to read more by telling them about their journey and experience they had while reading a book. Reading comes with more of an advantage.