Dancing their way to a college class

Dance students will have the chance to learn at the college level as some students will travel to Collin College on Monday, March 2, 2020. Students will have the opportunity to sit in on a dance class of their choice such as hip hop, ballet, contemporary, jazz, and modern.

Thanmayi Bommu, Guest Contributor

To get a feel of how dance classes in college could look, some dance students are going to Collin College on Monday for a lesson with college professors.

“As the level of dance changes how it is taught and the pace of the dance lessons also change,” dance teacher Nicole Nothe said. “I think it is very important for students to know how things are going to change up in college before fully getting into it.”

Dance can be taught in a lot of different ways and many students are only used to a few. 

“College is a lot different from high school in terms of the feel of the classes and just the basic structure,” freshman Zainab Hassan said. “Getting to know and feel how a college lesson is going to be like greatly helps the way I choose my classes when the time comes.”

The visit to Collin is going to be important to future decisions for Dance IV student Vaishnavi Muduganti.

“I’m very excited to take a class with college professors and get to know the feel of how dance classes look like in college,” Muduganti said. “Especially because I’m thinking about taking dance in college and this will help me decide.”

Almost half of the all the dance students will take a full lesson of their choice in one of the major dance types such as hip hop, ballet, contemporary, jazz, and modern, with a full on college experience.

“I think this field trip will help me have a hands on experience on what to expect in college level dance classes and,” dance one student Ashwana Davis said. “It will help me to decide whether or not to continue dance in high school.”