National Honor Society application deadline Friday

The+clock+is+ticking+for+students+looking+to+join+National+Honor+Society+for+the+2020-21+school+year+as+applications+are+due+Friday%2C+Feb.+28%2C+2020+at+

Perry Mellone

The clock is ticking for students looking to join National Honor Society for the 2020-21 school year as applications are due Friday, Feb. 28, 2020 at

Athena Tseng, Guest Contributor

The deadline for students to apply for membership in the National Honor Society is Friday at 4:30 p.m. 

“Students must have at least a 4.0 weighted GPA, no discipline issues, are actively involved with the school and their community and possess good character,” NHS sponsor Amber Bennett said. “Only eligible sophomores and juniors can apply for NHS. Once you’re accepted into NHS, you are a lifetime member and do not need to reapply.”

Sophomore Tarini Pankanti thinks joining NHS could help her in many different aspects of her personal and school life.

“I think it’s a really good opportunity for me to help serve the community, gain some insight and experience with people around the community, to be a major part of the school and to show that I am responsible,” Pankanti said. “You do many volunteer activities but you also get a chance to be a part of the academic student body and I just think it’s a good chance to be a good student and show integrity.”

The NHS application process has gone through some significant changes this year and has made the system more productive and organized.

“I heard that this year’s application process is a lot easier compared to the last few years,” sophomore Annie Teng said. “Before they needed to write essays and this year it was just online links and we had to print out some forms. You sent the links directly to the teacher so I felt it was a very efficient process compared to last year. The links were multiple-choice as well. From what I heard, I think that we just have to uphold leadership, scholarship, basically, be a good student and volunteer.”

Students that are accepted into National Honor Society can find an organization that has many benefits geared toward students, including college readiness, according to Bennett.

“NHS allows students to meet others that share your same academic goals and provides the ability to network with community leaders that could potentially lead to scholarships and job offers,” Bennett said. “It promotes community involvement through service projects and allows students to network with like-minded peers.”