Art work meets a competitive atmosphere at annual VASE competition

Aaron Boehmer

No access to paint, pencils, or pastels on campus, student artists are left with the supplies they have at home for the first three weeks of school during virtual instruction. But sometimes, restraints make for the best art, according to art teacher Fred Rodriguez.

Aaron Boehmer, Managing Editor

School buses will fill up with student artists and their matted drawings, paintings, and projects early Saturday morning for the annual VASE competition taking place at Reedy High School instead of Prosper this year. 

“To prepare for VASE is a lot of work,” art teacher Pernie Fallon said. “We have to, first of all, get the students to create the artwork. Then, when they turn it in, we have to measure it and cut a mat for it. There’s a tremendous amount of paperwork that goes along with VASE. Students have to fill out a field trip permission slip and their intent form for that describes their artwork using the elements and principles of art. The students’ sources have to be original, including taking their own photographs and sketches. All of that has to be documented and attached to the artwork that they take.” 

With a total of 53 art pieces entered amongst the three teachers on campus, matting the pieces and filling out the paperwork is only half the battle. 

“Once they get to VASE, we check in and they have to go through a qualification process just to make sure that they are meeting all the rules,” Fallon said. “Finally, we get to wait around until it’s time for each students’ interview with a juror. That’s always a really uplifting and positive dialogue or discussion about art between the student and the juror. After the interviews

Following the interviews, the art with the highest scores (out of four), will be placed in the gym for students, teachers, and parents to view.

For junior Catherine Tong, the gallery walk is a chance to show the love she has for her family. 

“I chose a pastel portrait of my dad and my dog this year,” Tong said. “It wasn’t that difficult for me to choose as I liked this piece and felt connected to it because I was drawing loved family members. I’m excited for VASE since I haven’t been since 9th grade, and I’m a junior now. I can’t wait to see the art pieces students from other schools have drawn.”