Dual credit informational meeting Monday

Ashvita Girish, Staff Reporter

Students interested in taking classes as part of Frisco ISD’s Dual Credit program are invited to attend a mandatory meeting with their parents on Monday in the auditorium from 6-7:30 p.m.

“You’re going to learn the complete process of what they need to do to actually be able to take dual credit and the timelines that they need to do it with, “counselor Ryan Kiefer said. “They’ll also learn about some of the logistics of what courses they should select because dual credit courses do not fall on an A day B day schedule they fall on a Monday, Wednesday, and Tuesday, Thursday schedule.”

The meeting is designed to inform both students and parents about the dual credit procedure and give them an idea of what a school year with dual credit will look like.

“This information can benefit both student and parent into feeling more confident going into dual credit at Collin,” sophomore Kayla Yasuda said. “Going to a college class can be daunting for some and this can give a good insight into what it will be like and what to expect from taking dual credit classes.”

Dual credit classes give students an opportunity to earn both high school and college credit while still in high school. 

“I think dual is going to be an easy way to get the credit I need for college before I go to college,” junior Ashika Deshpande said. “This will be very helpful considering the fact that I will be taking other relevant classes that actually have something to do with the career path and getting the requirements out of the way will differently help with that.” 

Monday’s meeting will also help guide students on the dual credit classes that might be right for certain students.

“Students don’t need to sign up, but they differently need to show up,” Kiefer said. “We will also be giving paperwork at the end of the meeting so it is a mandatory meeting. If they don’t go to the meeting they probably won’t have a lot of the information they need to know how to sign up for dual credit and what classes are available and that kind of stuff. So make sure you show up to the meeting if you want to take dual credit.”