Piece by Piece: when will it end?

Morgan Kong

Staff reporter Madison Saviano explores hot topics and issues that students face in her weekly column Piece by Piece.

Madison Saviano, Staff Reporter

I think it’s safe to say we’re all struggling. Between the ever-gloomy weather and the persistent loneliness, how could we not be? How could we not all feel this impending sense of doom? 

It’s as if this whole thing is a mounting tidal wave and we’re all waiting for it to finally collapse. It was only just the other day that the skies were bright and the waters were calm. Now, all of a sudden, we are at the foot of this gigantic wall of water that somehow never seems to peak. We hold our breaths, bracing ourselves to dive under, but we can’t. All we can seem to do is marvel at it and wonder: when will this wave finally break

Students, teachers, parents, and pretty much everyone affected feels the same way from what I’ve gathered. Our pressures keep mounting and all the while our strength keeps faltering. We ask ourselves: how much worse can it get? 

At first, school was put off a week. Then, it was until Friday. Well, Friday will have come and gone here pretty soon and we’ll still be in the dark as to how long we’ll really be in this predicament. 

At a press conference Monday, President Trump announced that the initial “15 days to slow the spread” has been extended to more than 30 days from now. Everyone’s promises keep getting pushed back and while I agree with the measures taken to safeguard the public, I keep wondering: when will it really end? I guess that’s the million dollar question…one that, unfortunately, we have to accept we don’t know the answer to. 

We can assure ourselves that the storm is almost at bay and that the wave is soon to dissipate, but the truth is that we really don’t know. Anything more than that is just a fair guess. A big takeaway from this should be that we never really know…

I know that these are not the words of assurance and comfort you want to hear, but you should still listen to them. I’d rather be safe than sorry and rest assured that I did all I could do knowing what I knew. 

And listen, I’m not trying to insight fear or spread seeds of uncertainty. Honestly from what I’ve heard, the odds of this ending by summer are great. Still though, it’s best to err on the side of caution because as it has been proven, we never really know how bad things can get. 

As my Papa always says, though, “it’s never as good as you think but it’s never as bad either.” Find that middle ground and stick to it.