Awards continue after girls basketballs’ state title

Catie Reeves

Junior Lily Ziemkiewicz drops her hands, waiting for sophomore Jazzy Owens-Barnett to give her 10, after Owens-Barnett hit a driving layup and was fouled. Owens-Barnett’s 22 points led both teams as the Redhawks triple overtime win sent them to the state championship for the third time in five years.

It’s been almost three weeks since the girls’ basketball returned home with a state championship, but that has not stopped the awards from coming in, with sophomore Jazzy Owens-Barnett announced Most Valuable Player by Star Local Media.

“I feel like it reflects what my teammates have done for me,” Owens-Barnett said. “Their diving on the ground for loose balls in order for me to push in transition, when they get a offensive board and kick it to me so I can hit a shooter for a big shot (the College Station game is a prime example), when i’m not having my best offensive night their willingness to step up. It’s truly a reflection of them, without them, this award wouldn’t even be possible, I really want everyone to know that.”

Owens-Barnett is also nominated as Vype DFW Player of the year, and numerous other awards.

It’s truly a reflection of them, without them, this award wouldn’t even be possible, I really want everyone to know that.

— sophomore Jazzy Owens-Barnett

Including state tournament MVP and Dallas Morning News First Team.  

“To be nominated for awards is such a blessing and I will continue to work hard,” Owens-Barnett said “I know seniors in college that wish they had the opportunity my teammates and I have had, so I’m very humble and grateful.”

Although her name is on the awards and nominations, Owens-Barnett continues to recognize her team’s hard work and expresses how they are the reason for the awards.  

“It’s just a player of the year award,” Owens-Barnett said. “But it’s really a ‘because of my teammates being great’ award if you ask me.”

The girls would not have won a state championship without head coach Ross Reedy and fittingly he won “Coach of the year” for the second time by Star Local Media and the Dallas Morning News.

“The success of a coach has everything to do with the environment around you,” Reedy said. “Being recognized has a lot more to do with the people around you, your support staff, you assistant coaches, and most importantly your players. It’s flattering but at the same time it’s also humbling.” 

Being recognized has a lot more to do with the people around you, your support staff, you assistant coaches, and most importantly your players. It’s flattering but at the same time it’s also humbling.

— head coach Ross Reedy

Reedy’s love for the game is translated as a way to push his players. 

“Reedy is the most passionate and intense coach I have ever played for,” Ziemiewicz said.  “Every day he shows up and you can truly see his love for the game and his work ethic as he pushes us to our limits. He is a tough coach but an extremely good one.”

Owens-Barnett agrees that Reedy deserves the postseason honors, but for more than just winning state.

“He’s a very fun guy, of course he gets onto our case and has a tough love coaching way about it,” Owens-Barnett said. “He deserves this award because he took a group of girls like us with the adversity we faced (injuries, health issues, other sport interest, losing players, etc…) and led us all the way to a state title. People with all American/D1 recruits couldn’t even do that. He’s pretty big time if you ask me and a well deserved award for an amazing coach.”

Alongside Owens-Barnett, newcomer, junior Lily Ziemiewicz also got Star Local Media’s “Sixth Woman of the Year” award.

“First coming here from Nebraska, starting practices I knew right away that practices were a lot more intense,” Ziemiewicz said. “The amount of time and work put into practices here is so much more than in Nebraska.”

Just like Owens-Barnett, Ziemiewicz gives credit to her team for all of her success. 

“I feel really honored and excited to have received this award,” Ziemiewicz said. “Without our team performing as well as they did again and again this could not have been possible. They all worked so hard each and every day to show up and give it their all.”