Show won’t go on as Scarborough Fair cancels Student Day

Freshman+Kamarri+Askew+performing+on+stage+earlier+this+year.+Theatre+2+will+longer+put+on+its+rendition+of+%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F+%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%0Aat+Scarborough+Fair%E2%80%99s+annual+Student+Day+as+the+event+has+been+cancelled+due+to+COVID-19.+

provided by Kamarri Askew

Freshman Kamarri Askew performing on stage earlier this year. Theatre 2 will longer put on its rendition of ??????? ????? at Scarborough Fair’s annual Student Day as the event has been cancelled due to COVID-19.

Jordan Battey, Guest Contributor

Prior to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Theatre 2 class had planned to perform a scene from Twelfth Night at Scarborough Fair’s annual Student Day but their plans came to a sudden stop as schools shut down, and Scarborough Fair cancelled Student Day. 

“I think the work the students did in class is valuable, whether or not the final performance of their scenes or individual selections are ever able to happen. Studying the work of the great playwrights and authors is never a bad thing,” theatre director Heather Willingham said. “I know the students will be disappointed and so am I. This has been a tradition for Liberty Theatre, and we will truly miss having the opportunity to go again this year. However, it will be all the more special when we are able to attend Student Days in 2021.”

For Riley Opiela, a freshman in the Theatre 2 class, the cancellation was bothersome.

“It’s kind of upsetting to see everything slowly get cancelled, especially the Scarborough Fair,” Opiela said. “I feel like we just got into casting and figuring out the shows and our plan for everything.”

Many programs all over campus are suffering from the loss of experiences due to COVID-19, but seeing the light in situations like this is important to freshman Eva Guerra.

“I think everyone’s just trying to figure out the craziness of everything that’s going on right now, and while I would have loved for it to happen, I think we just need to put our safety first,” Guerra said. “We still benefited from this process because it helped us prepare and audition for high school shows.”