Taking art beyond the classroom, students research possible careers

Pursuing+a+career+in+the+arts%2C+doesnt+necessarily+mean+being+an+artist+of+some+sort+as+Art+1+and+PreAP+Art+1+students+are+learning+in+a+project+in+which+they+are+researching+possible+careers+in+art.+

Pursuing a career in the arts, doesn’t necessarily mean being an artist of some sort as Art 1 and PreAP Art 1 students are learning in a project in which they are researching possible careers in art.

Jordan Battey, Guest Contributor

Art 1 and PreAP Art 1 students have been given the task of researching possible career paths in the world of art as an online assignment.

“The project is so that students could explore different careers in the art world,” art teacher Jeb Matulich said. “They created a Google slides presentation on an art career that interested them, with about 40 or so to choose from.This project lets students know the importance of art and how many different careers that there are that include an art background.”

So far, this project seems to be greatly benefiting art students from all classes, providing personal realizations. 

“I’m researching fashion design, and I think it’s really interesting to be able to research an industry you might not otherwise, and get to learn more about it,” PreAP art student Jayna Yoon said. “I think it’s really beneficial to be able to find out more about careers you might not have considered beforehand!” 

Art 1 freshman Akanksha Mehta agrees that this is a useful assignment while the class cannot be creating art together in person. 

“I am researching Urban Planning as an art career,” Mehta said. “I think this project is beneficial, because it provides exposure for possible careers for students interested in art. This project is a good online assignment, because while it is art-based, it also helps with research skills.”

Freshman Allyson Lastovica, a PreAP art student, is using this assignment to her advantage.

“I like this project because we got to have a lot of freedom with it, we got to pick what we were interested in,” Lastovica said. “When we did the self evaluation for the project, the questions were mostly career driven, and got me thinking about what I’m actually interested in in the “art world. The project job list we had to choose from was insanely long. It made me realize there’s so many options out there under the blanket term of being an ‘artist’.”