High School Musical

Disney

Amelia Jáuregui, Staff Reporter

A week or two ago I talked about having fun rewatching the Marvel series, and so I decided to continue to have fun rewatching series of movies I once loved. Yesterday, I was in a musical mood, and really feeling down on the being at home orders, so I decided to live my last year of high school through our beloved Wildcats of East High.

HIgh School Musical is a movie series that is extremely loved by many people my age, and it shows the ups and downs of high school in a musical fashion. We become instantly attached to the characters from the first moment we see Troy Bolton and Gabriella Montez, played by Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens, at the ski lodge, when by chance they sing karaoke together.

We then see that following winter break, Gabriella has transferred to East High in Albuquerque, New Mexico, due to her mom’s job to start her second semester. We are then able to see the story behind her and Troy unfold, whilst being introduced to the other important characters. The first HIgh School Musical shows the theme of how you can be more than just the stereotype that you are, and that it’s okay to be yourself. 

While High School Musical is a classic, you cannot forget the second movie, HIgh School Musical 2, in the series. This is the movie that shows the beloved juniors finishing their school year and learning how to have a fun summer while working a job before their final year of high school. 

Of course, having the entirety of their class at a single place to work causes drama, and especially when the star, Sharpay Evans, played by Ashley Tisdale, is stirring the pot. However, all is worked out, and everyone is able to overcome their struggles and hard feelings, as a final song brings everyone closer than ever.

We are then led to the final movie, High School Musical 3: Senior Year, where the first scene is the biggest game for the wildcat basketball team. Again, accompanied by singing and dancing, we see a triumphant buzzer beater win to bring victory to the Wildcats. From there, the movie shows that change that is brought senior year, and the tough decisions that will be made regarding the future. 

In this movie, and all the movies in general, we are able to experience, change, love, friendship, and a variety of different emotions. We grew up with these characters, and seeing their end, reminds us of our own. At least that’s how I felt rewatching the series. 

It’s unfortunate that the class of 2020 seniors weren’t able to experience their own special senior year, but at least we can watch the beloved movie and feel as if we were a part of their own high school experience. For myself personally, I had a fun time being able to relive my childhood by watching 3 of my favorite movies from when I was growing up.