Wingspan receives top state and national honors

In addition to winning the CSPA Gold Crown this year, Wingspan has received other top honors on the regional, state, and national levels.

Wingspan and WTV have earned numerous local, state, and national awards with the latest coming on Saturday when the UIL’s ILPC announced its publication and individual awards, with Wingspan winning multiple honors. This comes on the heels of Wingspan winning the nation’s two high school publication awards (the NSPA Pacemaker and the CSPA Gold Crown), and being named as one of the top two high school sites in DFW by the Dallas Morning News.

With this being Wingspan’s fifth consecutive time winning the Online Pacemaker and fourth time winning the CSPA Gold Crown, editor-in-chief, senior Kasey Harvey sees the awards as a representation of the program’s continued efforts.

It’s nice to hear that our hard work has paid off. This just goes to show how dedicated everyone is to the program: both teacher and staff.

— Editor-in-chief Kasey Harvey

“I think it is an outstanding honor,” Harvey said. “I know that in all of my years in Wingspan I have seen everyone work extremely hard to be one of the top programs in the country. It’s nice to hear that our hard work has paid off. This just goes to show how dedicated everyone is to the program: both teacher and staff. We post a lot of content throughout every week which would not be possible without all of these hardworking individuals.”

The awards come as Wingspan adviser Brian Higgins completes his fifth year heading the program.

“I am blown away by what the staff has accomplished these last five years as it rivals that of any other journalism program in the country,” he said. “From my first day on campus, I have told my students what I expect, and without fail, they meet and surpass my expectations.”

The annual honors come in as editors-in-chief Kasey Harvey and Lucas Barr and WTV Executive Producers Roy Nitzan and Kyle Strickland prepare to graduate.

“Wingspan is by far the most special thing I was able to be a part of in high school,” Barr said. “All of us spend hours every week inside and outside of the classroom working to produce the best stories we can. Everyone in the program has their own unique voices and skills to share, and I think that is what keeps us at the top. We all motivate each other to put forth our best work, which creates not just amazing content, but a close family on campus. Of course we couldn’t do anything without Mr. Higgins. He believes in all of us and pushes us everyday.”

Everyone in the program has their own unique voices and skills to share, and I think that is what keeps us at the top. We all motivate each other to put forth our best work, which creates not just amazing content, but a close family on campus.

— Editor-in-chief Lucas Barr

Helping to produce a broadcast every single school day, Nitzan sees the work that all members put into Wingspan.

“I think it’s absolutely incredible what we do as a program,” Nitzan said. “Having everyone work as a team to put out daily news isn’t an easy task, but we constantly get it done and we get it done with high standards. As an executive producer it’s a proud moment for me because it shows that we all know what we’re doing and I’m honored to have a part in leading it.”

While winning top honors is nothing new to Wingspan, Harvey believes it is the close environment that makes the program unique.

“I think the family aspect of Wingspan is what makes it so special,” Harvey said. “We all put in a lot of effort into the program. We all bond over that common goal and I’ve met some of my closest friends through the program. While it may be a lot or stressful at times, it’s the people and the memories that make us all want to work harder.”

Wingspan and WTV ILPC Awards:

Publication Honors:

• ILPC Broadcast Gold Star
  • ILPC Online Gold Star
  • ILPC Broadcast Distinguished Merit Rating:
  • ILPC Online Distinguished Merit Rating:

Individual Achievement Awards 

News Writing:

1. Yael Even

3. Aaron Boehmer

News Feature:

Honorable Mention – Katharina Santos (2019 graduate)

Editorial Writing:

Honorable Mention – Lucas Barr

Honorable Mention – Lucas Barr

Sports News Story:

2. Kasey Harvey

HM – Aaron Boehmer

Sports Feature Story:

1. Maddie Aronson

HM – Aaron Boehmer

Feature Writing:

2. Kasey Harvey

HM – Ana Cuen

Personal Opinion Column:

HM – Trisha Dasgupta

In Depth New/Feature Package:

1. Aliza Porter (2019 graduate)/Lucas Barr

General Sports Writing (Broadcast):

2. Walker Shippy

2. Walker Shippy

Adviser’s Challenge Winners

Objective Writing:

1. Brian Higgins

Subjective Writing:

3. Brian Higgins