Show will go on, fine arts fully virtual first three weeks

The+band+wont+be+seen+in+the+parking+lot+practicing+for+the+first+three+weeks+of+school%2C+as+it+and+other+fine+arts+programs+like+choir+and+the+Red+Rhythm+drill+team+are+completely+online+for+that+time+period.+

Sarah Boutouis

The band won’t be seen in the parking lot practicing for the first three weeks of school, as it and other fine arts programs like choir and the Red Rhythm drill team are completely online for that time period.

Caroline Caruso, Managing Editor

The show will go on for fine arts as virtual instruction requires the band, choir, Red Rhythm drill team, and all art classes are completely online for the first three weeks of school, causing students, teachers and directors to find new ways to continue practices and productions. 

This is bittersweet for French horn player, senior Michael Yu.

Despite there being more time for other interests and less pressure on band members, the band won’t be able to participate in competitions. 

“Now that we won’t be competing, we are going to focus on a new plan,” Yu said. “We plan on doing a mini-show with the leadership team’s collaboration. On top of that, we expect to practice for all-region with our masterclasses and private lesson teachers, to ensure we are at our best during the audition.”

For Red Rhythm member sophomore Hannah Beeler, the choice of in-person or virtual practices can cause communication breakdowns. 

“Sometimes my computer will lag,” Beeler said. “Or I’ll go out of the camera frame while I dance.” 

Being online will force everyone to think outside the box but choir director Toni Ugolini is hopeful she can learn some tricks for when face to face learning resumes on Sept. 3.

Choir as an art hasn’t changed much the last 500 years, and some of that is amazing and should stay that way,” Ugolini said. “However, we have some great tools at our disposal and maybe we can find some things that even when things get back to normal we will use and appreciate.”